Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Do you wanna be great??...

If you have yet to realize it, the kingdom of God is very different from the kingdom of the world. The kingdom of the world tells you, get yours, what's in it for you, think about yourself, etc. etc. If we could sum up the kingdom of this world in one word, it would be self. The world is all about the individual. Yet Christ demands that His subjects do the total opposite. Jesus says if anyone wants to be great among you, he is to be your servant. You wanna be great in the kingdom of Christ, then go serve someone. Give yourself completely to the cause of Christ in the serving of others. This is how one is great within the kingdom of Christ. 
Yet there is an attitude I see especially in myself, but in the church as well. We have this attitude that this is all we are going to do and it is enough. I serve at a homeless ministry once a week that is enough, let someone else tell my co-workers, my family, my friends, the eternal blessing of knowing and surrendering to Jesus Christ as Lord. This lady really looks like someone I could definitely share Christ with but I am on my way to church so I will let someone else tell her. The Bible says make the most of every opportunity. Let's be honest with ourselves I don't make the most of probably 1/2 the opportunities I am given, due to my hardness of heart, or whatever the case maybe. Yet think if we really did make the most of every opportunity, think about what we could accomplish for the kingdom of God, think about how Christ would be glorified in our lives?? 

Give me an example. Recently we just had a pretty bad storm, my family were without power for a week and lemme tell ya, it felt like a month!! How many people did we extend a hand to and ask if they had power, if they did not, how many of us invited these people into our homes? How many of us with chain saws went out and offered to cut up people's trees that had fallen with out expecting anything in return. In fact denying them even when they offered to pay because just as we had been given a free gift of God in the Lord Jesus Christ, we wanted to freely give a gift. How many of us stopped and thanked utility workers instead of complaining to them that our power was not back on. How many of us grumbled that we could not watch t.v. instead of using the time the power was out to get close to our real Source of power the Lord Jesus Christ?? 

Oh I know I am taking this thing too far, I know that you work hard all week and you don't wanna do anything but rest on the days that you have off. I know that gas costs money, and maybe some people would be unappreciative. You know what I call this?? COMFORT. Let me ask you where in the Bible the Words of the Living God does He ever want us to be comfortable?? We must be reading a totally different Bible, because the Word of God that I open says "He died so that they who live might no longer live for themselves but for He who died and rose again on their behalf". 2 Cor. 5:15. The Bible says God owns the cattle on a thousands hills, He owns the house that you did not open up to strangers who could have seen the love of Jesus Christ, He owns the chain saw that you failed to use for His glory, He owns the money that we failed to buy gas with and help someone else out. I am glad the apostles were not comfortable, had they been I would not be writing on this very subject this morning. You know who I am glad chose not to remain comfortable?? Even Jesus Christ. 

Although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but made Himself nothing, taking on the form of a servant, He humbled Himself and became obedient to death, even death on a cross...

Philippians 2:5-8 

No comments:

Post a Comment